St. Angelo’s Celebrates National Pizza Month!
Did you know that October is National Pizza Month? At St. Angelo’s Pizza, we want you to celebrate the occasion and learn about the history behind the pie. Read on to learn how this delicious staple came to be America’s go-to.
History of National Pizza Month
During World War II, soldiers that fought in Italy wanted to eat pizza when they returned to the United States. The popularity of pizza led many to start their own business. In 1984, Gerry Darnell, the man who founded the magazine Pizza Today, started National Pizza month. He owned a pizza restaurant and realized there were no trade magazines for the industry. This is when he decided to create Pizza Today and declare October National Pizza Month.
National Pizza Month is observed in the United States and Canada, and many restaurants feature special promotions during this holiday. There are over 63,000 pizza restaurants in the United States. Over 94 percent of consumers eat pizza at least once a month, and it is approximated that you will eat 6,000 slices of pizza in your lifetime (we think this is a little low, but that’s just us).
Interesting Facts About Pizza
We all love pizza, but did you know these interesting facts?
- Pizza was first sold in the major cities such as New York, New Haven, Boston, and Trenton, and all of which had Italian American immigrants living there.
- The famous Chicago deep dish pizza was created in 1943 by the restaurant owner who created Pizzeria Uno.
- The restaurant chain Domino’s® was created by Tom Monaghan. This chain dropped its 30-minute delivery policy in some locations due to lawsuits that said the company promoted unsafe driving.
- In 1962, the first frozen pizza was created, and consumers said it tasted like cardboard.
- Pizza around the world features many unique toppings. The French love fried eggs, while Brazil uses peas and China tops it off with mini hot dogs.
- Many famous actors got their start in the pizza business. Some of which include Bill Murray, Claude Van Damme, and Stephen Baldwin.
- A pizza superhero movie was made in 2011 called Pizza Man.
- Visit the Pizza Museum in Philadelphia, called Pizza Brain. It includes the largest collection of pizza mementos.
Celebrate with St. Angelo’s
We love National Pizza Month, but we feel that EVERY month should be pizza month! That’s why we are so excited to introduce our new Pizza of the Month promotion, featuring one of our large specialty pies or other pizzas each month. October’s Pizza of the Month is The Saint! Normally $21.99 for a large, get one for just $9.99 during October. Topped with pepperoni, Italian sausage, seasoned beef, Canadian ham, bacon, fresh onions, tomatoes, olives and green peppers. The Saint is our signature pie!
Ready to celebrate National Pizza Month? Give us a call today at St. Angelo’s to order The Saint! We look forward to celebrating with the community all month long!